When one door closes, another one opens. Well, the renovation door has pretty much closed. Getting away from my business plan (buying houses in our price range) was disastrous. However, not being able to sell this house might not be the end of days…(more on that in the next few weeks).
With our new ideas beginning to take hold, I decided to build a window seat for the Master Bedroom. This is only the first step in completely rebuilding that room (at minimal expense). We also plan on painting (again) and redecorating.
The first step was to build a window seat. This was actually a fairly daunting task for me. I can build furniture…but it’s built in a shop, with detailed plans, and painstakingly crafted. A built-in (like the window seat) is an entirely different creature. This is built using plywood (not the solid wood of the furniture I make) with hardwood edging (something I’ve never done) with no plans (had to make them myself), and drawer slides (again, fine furniture doesn’t use store bought slides), and built in place.
This also isn’t an heirloom, so I don’t want to spend a ton of cash on it.
I spent $240 (that includes tax) on this project.
Now the picture here isn’t complete. I still have to put the drawer fronts on it (I have to attached hardware before I do that) and trim needs to go around the maple top.
But overall, very happy with how it turned out. I’ll attach the completed picture when it’s finished. Paint it, Kari will be making a cushion, and add a few throw pillows, and it adds instant charm to an otherwise empty room.
Next on the list — making those windows nice enough to match the window seat.