I built a composter on the weekend. Paige helped me (she can actually use a drill now to drive screws as long as I start it).

Anyways, I wasn’t going to build it until we found our new house, but considering we don’t know how long we’re going to be here…I decided to build it now, mostly with scraps found around my property. It ended up costing me about $50, though without the scraps, it probably would’ve been closer to $125.

It measures 9ft x 3ft x 3ft with three separate compartments (3×3 is the optimum composting size). The front is removable wood slats (removable so we can turn it or finally shovel it out) and the sides and back are chicken wire (it called for hardware cloth, but chicken wire is 1/5th the cost).

I still need a top, but in my cash strapped world, I don’t want to buy a fiberglass top for it.

Next, I think I’m going to go buy some chain so I can lock myself to a tree…