Yes, my first post is about fish oil. I’ve been reading a lot about nutrition lately (yawn, eyes getting sleepy…) but I won’t bore you with that. But one of the things that amazes me is fish oil. Yes, little capsules that contain…well, oil from fishes (not cod liver oil, that’s not the same). If this were a DRUG, there would be around the clock ads by the pharma companies. As it is…it’s a natural product without a big company behind it.
What’s in fish oil? Omega 3s. Fat. The same thing that you’d get from Salmon and other cold water fish. Not only does it help you lose weight and gain muscle (simply by ingesting these) but here are 7 other benefits (stolen from various websites…all with research backing up the claim)
1. Less Pain and Inflammation. Omega 3 fatty acids, particularly EPA, have a very positive effect on your inflammatory response. Through several mechanisms, they regulate your body’s inflammation cycle, which prevents and relieves painful conditions like arthritis, prostatitis, cystitis and anything else ending in “itis.”
2. Cardiovascular Health. Omega 3 fatty acids have also been proven to work wonders for your heart and the miles and miles of arteries and veins that make up your cardiovascular system. They help to lower cholesterol, tryglicerides, LDLs and blood pressure, while at the same time increasing good HDL cholesterol. This adds years to your life expectancy.
3. Protection from Stroke and Heart Attack. When plaque builds up on arterial walls and then breaks loose, it causes what’s known as a thrombosis, which is a fancy way of saying clot. If a clot gets stuck in the brain, it causes a stroke and when it plugs an artery, it causes a heart attack. Research shows omega 3 fatty acids break up clots before they can cause any damage.
4. Better Brain Function and Higher Intelligence. Pregnant and nursing mothers can have a great impact on the intelligence and happiness of their babies by supplementing with fish oil. For adults, omega 3 improves memory, recall, reasoning and focus. You’ll swear you’re getting younger and smarter.
5. Less Depression and Psychosis. Making you smarter is not all omega 3 does for your brain. Psychiatry department researchers at the University of Sheffield, along with many other research studies, found that omega 3 fish oil supplements “alleviate” the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis (Journal of Affective Disorder Vol. 48(2-3);149-55).
6. Lower Incidence of Childhood Disorders. Just to show how fish oil fatty acids leave nobody out, studies show that children (and adults) with ADD and ADHD experience a greatly improved quality of life. And those with dyslexia, dyspraxia and compulsive disorders have gotten a new lease on life thanks to omega 3 oils.
7. Reduction of Breast, Colon and Prostate Cancer. And finally, omega 3 fish oil has been shown to help prevent three of the most common forms of cancer breast, colon and prostate. Science tells us that omega 3s accomplish this in three ways. They stop the alteration from a normal healthy cell to a cancerous mass, inhibiting unwanted cellular growth and causing apoptosis, or cellular death, of cancer cells.
You know…Men’s health has been recommending Fish Oil for years, and I always ignored it. I started taking it about 3 months ago because my buddy Larry said that he found it really his arthritis. My hands have been getting increasingly painful, and I started taking a fish oil supplement. I stopped a week ago (because I just forgot about it for a week), and my hands were way crazy sore. I’m back on it, and I already notice a difference.
Fish oil, you’re my friend.
I can’t remember do you like fish/seafood?
We love salmon er well I convinced Danielle to love salmon, and we try to eat it at least once a week. Mostly because I love it. But it’s one of those very few foods that has a happy accident of actually doing more good for me than bad.